One of the most common questions being asked nowadays is that
“What is a Nest Thermostat?”
The above question will be answered in this article. But before it I want you to know something about a simple thermostat. So,
What is a thermostat?
A thermostat is a device that controls the heating or cooling systems to maintain a specific temperature.
A normal thermostat is used to detect temperature changes in the environment for the proper maintenance of a specific temperature in a closed area.
Thermostats are constructed in a variety of ways to measure temperature with the help of a bimetallic strip or a thermistor.
How does a thermostat work?
A particular temperature is set on the thermostat.
When the temperature drops below the set point the system will be activated. Likewise, it will be switched off when it surpasses/rises over the set point.
That’s enough information regarding a normal thermostat. Let’s return to the main question.
What is a Nest Thermostat?
A Nest Thermostat is a smart or an advanced form of thermostat which helps in saving your energy (both human energy and money).
Google Nest learning thermostat is a 3rd generation programable thermostat. It is made of up stainless steel and is fully compatible with Alexa.
Types of Nest Thermostats
Besides the Nest thermostat, you have also heard about Nest Learning Thermostat as well.
These both are nearly similar to each other, now let’s have a glance at them.
Nest Thermostat is the upgraded version of the Nest Learning Thermostat.
Composition of Nest Thermostat
A Nest thermostat has a
You can swipe the touch bar up or down to increase or decrease the temperature. If you want to open the menu you can tap on it.
The menu has the following features
- Modes – There are two modes of heating and cooling, you can change them from here.
- Hold – This option is used to keep a specific temperature for a certain amount of time.
- Fan – The fan option can be used wherever it’s getting stuffy.
- Settings – Here you can check your battery and network status.
It shows the current cooling or heating mode and system alerts.
The target temperature is the temperature you want to reach.
The current temperature is the temperature of your home.
Is Nest Thermostat available in different colors?
Yeah! The Nest Thermostat is available in different colors which are listed below. It comes in
There are other colors also available in it.
Are you interested in knowing the similarities of both types?
As they both are similar so they have many features in common.
- Both these thermostats will notify you when your HVAC starts to struggle.
- They will tell you when you are nearly running out of the runtime of an air filter.
- Moreover, they will also notify you regarding the regular schedule maintenance required for their proper functioning and their best performance.
Remember these thermostats can communicate with you via the Google Home App and will send notifications through that.
Then what is the difference between them?
As I have already mentioned that there is no such mighty difference. They are similar but still are not the same!
- The biggest difference is that the Nest thermostat requires Wi-Fi for its setup and to plan the schedule. Whereas Nest learning thermostat can be scheduled without the internet facility and much of its settings are managed on the device manually just by hand.
- Another difference between them is the variance in their prices.
- In the Nest thermostat, the setup is going to be in Google Home App while the setup of the Nest learning thermostat is in the Nest app.
- Nest thermostat has a mirror display while Nest learning has a high-resolution digital display.
Still, confused about which one to choose?
If you are a beginner and you want to learn and gain experience so you should opt for the Nest Learning Thermostat as it is primarily designed for beginners.
The nest learning thermostat treats you as a learner and sometimes performs many functions on its own to help you. But the Nest thermostat gives you full control of the thermostat.
After using the learning thermostat for a while, when you feel that you are pretty much comfortable using it. You can move towards the Nest Thermostat, as experts prefer a Nest thermostat.
Interesting Features of Nest Thermostat
Interesting features of the Nest thermostat are
- Whenever you walk up and come in front of the display it automatically displays the current temperature.
- It can also be controlled by voice assistants.
- It can be controlled even if you are away from home.
- It is designed so it can be easily installed by yourself. If you do not want to DIY you can also call a pro to install it for you.
At the end of the blog here are some bonus tips.
Pro Tips about Nest
- When you are buying it remember to check the rebate facility (it reduces the price).
But do keep in mind that rebate programs are different for different geographical locations.
Energy Star’s website is great if you are looking up rebates in the US.
Here is the link for it.
- Nest thermostats function properly with 24V systems.
- If you want to check or confirm the compatibility of your system you can visit g.co/nest/works.
- Here are some other links in case you do need some help.
- If you want to have the motion settings being set on your thermostat you have to connect a C wire (thermostat wire) with the thermostat as well (connecting the C wire depends on the system you have).
- The only new thing which you have to get used to is controlling from the side. It is not a touch screen so don’t tap on the screen it will leave your fingerprints on the screen. And then you have to clean it later on by yourself.
Well, that brings us to the end of the blog.
Hopefully, you have enjoyed coming across this post. And it might also have cleared most of your doubts and questions.
You can also prescribe us your opinions to make our blogs better and better.
Have a great day and enjoy.